The internet marketplace is very volatile and for your business to survive, you have to stay abreast with the best practices in the industry. Most businesses especially startups and small businesses are rigid when it comes to their marketing strategies and this prevents them from leveraging this customer rich market. If you are planning a search engine optimization (SEO) campaign, you should base it on the best strategies and none comes better than keyword research. Of course, you have some keywords in mind but you will realize these might not be the best. If you are angling to get a piece of the internet market in your niche, you have to take time researching keywords to use. Keyword research has now become an integral practice in SEO campaigns and for this reason, you need to invest time and resources to get the most out of it.
The Importance of SEO
Maybe you are wondering whether investing more money in SEO is worth it; after all you have this beautiful website that visitors will love. This is the approach most people have as they prepare their internet marketing campaigns. The fact that most websites are not achieving their objectives should give you a hint on the reason SEO is so important.
Now, according to the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), there are over 3.7 billion internet user and brands from across the globe target these users. In America alone, 51% of consumers prefer shopping online according to Big Commerce. 96% of Americans have already made a purchase online and this goes to show where your marketing focus should be.
There are opportunities to be tapped online, but for you to do this effectively, your brand must rank highly on search. According to a survey published on Search Engine Land, 93% of internet experiences start with a search engine. This simply means your website has to be highly visible on search if you are to achieve your marketing goals.
The same survey shows search is still the #1 driver of traffic to content websites. If you consider that 75% of internet users don’t scroll past the 1st page of search engine result pages (SERPs), your marketing campaign should focus on increasing visibility on search results.
Keywords and SEO
Keywords research plays a big role in this by making it easier for search engine crawlers to index your pages. It goes without saying that keyword research is among the top SEO activities in ROI and if you don’t have a clear cut strategy for the same, you are missing out on incredible opportunities. Keywords and phrases make it possible for your target audience to find you via search engines. This makes keywords among the basics of any successful SEO campaign.
To find the right keywords to use, you must know how your target audience is searching for products, services or information that you offer on your website. By targeting the right keywords, you are able to easily guide searchers to your relevant web pages and this in turn increases conversion rates.
If you are struggling to find the best keywords to target, this SEO keyword research template will help you in a big way. To appreciate how keyword research contributes to your overall SEO efforts, consider the following benefits:
- More engaged audience
- Increasing conversion rates
- Give more insight on keywords trends
- Helping target the best ROI in terms of keywords choice
- Discovering new markets with unique keywords
- Higher organic search engine ranking
These are just a few of the advantages of comprehensive keyword research and analysis. The bottom-line is that keyword choice will either build or kill your SEO efforts. However strong your marketing strategy, you will be missing a key component by ignoring keyword research.
Before hitting the ground in keyword research, consider the following variables:
- Keyword goals: Make sure you define your SEO goals in order to relate them with the keywords you are searching for. Of course, everyone wants to rank on top but once there, maybe you want to drive more traffic to your site, increase conversion rates, build an email list or such other goals.
- Intent: When choosing a keyword, consider whether it is informational or transactional. An informational keyword is aimed at leading a reader to more information and further details about your products. A transactional keyword on the other hand refers to keywords you use to sell products and services. A keyword beginning with the adjective “best” works either way.
- Average monthly search volume (AMSV): There are two types of keywords; head term keywords which are more general and have more average monthly search volume. Head term keywords are hard to rank for and require lots of work. Long-tail keywords on the other hand are more specific and precise and have lesser search volumes per month. However, long-tail keywords are better to use because they are easier to rank for and they bring in more converting organic visitors.
The Search for Keywords
With these ideas in mind, you now appreciate how crucial keyword research is in your overall SEO strategy. The next step now is starting your keyword research. There are two approaches to this important SEO process:
- Manual Keyword Search
This involves manually finding potential keywords by using Google Keyword Planner and typing in one of the keywords you would like. This is an amazing tool to help you find phrases to target for organic search results and monthly search volume your preferred keyword garners.
Uber suggest is another manual tool to use as it gives more information about the target keyword. Next, you need to consider the difficulty of the keyword you are targeting by looking at the competition.
- Automating your keyword Research
This is the easiest route to take in keyword research. There are numerous tools you can use including LongTailPro, SEMrush and Ninja Outreach among others. These automation tools offer different keyword research functions including competitive research and backlink analysis, filtering keywords based on their difficulty and boost your outreach project.
Keyword research is one of the most important components in any SEO strategy. It is an effective approach to boost your online business performance by ensuring you are targeting the right audience. Keyword research also helps you understand which keywords your competition is targeting and you will also find more data to boost your SEO efforts.
Derek Iwasiuk is an SEO consultant with over 19 years’ experience in the industry. He runs http://www.derekiwasiuk.com, a highly informative blog providing SEO tutorials. He is also an investor in tech startups.